Friday, June 20, 2008

Two for the Price of One

A lot of my recipes come from watching Food Network which I loooove to do. The following were inspired by a recipe by Giada DeLaurentiis, but I did so much altering that I'm prepared to call them my own. The dressing (my son's favorite balsamic vinaigrette) is true to Giada's original, but I've changed just about everything else about the dish.

Version 1
Penne Picanha
(Before we begin, a word on the title. I hate titles that just list everything in the dish. Giada's original recipe is called "Penne with Beef and Arugula" or something like that. We started calling it Penne Picanha because "picanha" is the Portuguese word for sirloin and because it is alliterative. And just way more catchy!)
1 lb sirloin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t italian seasoning
salt and pepper
12 oz penne pasta
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
2 T Dijon mustard
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
3/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1 T dried basil (or 1/4 c fresh, chopped)
2 c baby spinach

Season both sides od sirloin with salt and pepper, then rub in minced garlic and italian seasoning. Grill till cooked the way you like it (sorry, I never do the grilling, so I can't even guess how many minutes per side for medium, or whatever). Meanwhile, cook pasta till al dente. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, s&p, and dried basil (if using fresh, hold off for now). Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking vigorously to combine. Toss pasta with spinach (and fresh basil if you opted for it). Slice sirloin into bite size pieces and add to pasta. Toss with dressing. Serve immediately (or take it on a picnic and serve at room temp).

Version 2
For which we do not yet have a good name. I sometimes call it Chicken Picanha but that makes no sense as there's no Picanha involved. Suggestions anyone?
1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 t to 1 t italian seasoning
1 T dried basil (or 1/4 c fresh, chopped)
12 oz penne
2 c baby spinach
1 big ball fresh mozzarella
balsamic vinaigrette as described above

Cook the chicken. I leave the technique up to you. I tend to poach it because I think it soaks up the dressing really well, but roasting or grilling it would also be really good and would add a different depth of flavor. Cook pasta. Make dressing just like above, but add in italian seasoning. Toss pasta with spinach (and fresh basil). Cut chicken and mozzarella into bite size pieces, add to pasta. Toss all with dressing.

This is a universal favorite in our house. My 6 year old begs for it, my one year old gobbles it up, my 32 year old and I fight over the leftovers, and my finicky 4 year old was lately heard to say "Mmmm, Mom, this is good!" Hope you enjoy it as well!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

We tried the chicken version for dinner tonight - yum! I really liked the flavor, and it's really easy to make. I'll definitely be making this one again.

bonitinha said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's become a frequent fixture on our menu too.

Randomus maximus said...

I think you should call it "Balsalmic Basil Toss" that way you won't have to change the name every time you change your meat. B said he could think of a better name but he can't walk and I won't give him the details of the recipe because I like my title already! He said "You two can't even name a BOOK!" I don't see us publishing with a title HE suggested!