Thursday, June 19, 2008

FCG: Men's Favorite and Vegetable Salads 1/21/06

Happy 2006 Gang! I hope all had a safe and happy new year. So far 2006 has been busy for me: I've taken one course already (my school offers a super-condensed workshop course each semester that counts for one whole course credit, but you take the whole thing in one week) and am going to start another one on Monday. I never seem to find the time to try recipes any more--well, at least not nearly as often as I would like. I did find and manage to try a couple lately. The Cole Slaw, formally known as "Men's Favorite Salad" comes from the January 2006 issue of Gourmet magazine. While normally not much of a periodical reader, I will occasionally peruse the pages of Gourmet (while waiting for something better to come along, like my turn in line). I liked what I saw in this month's so much that I went and bought myself a copy. If your library has it and you're looking for new recipe ideas, I'd recommend checking out this particular issue. The Vegetable salad comes from my mom, formally known as Carol of our group. Thanks for sending this to me! I love getting ideas from other people! Without further ado, the recipes. Enjoy - Devon

Men's Favorite Salad

1 (2 1/2 lb) green cabbage, washed, outer leaves discarded (I used about a 1 1/2 lb head and thought the proportion was right on. How much cabbage do you like?)
1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (Hey, it's from Gourmet: they've got to make "chop up your onion" into some kind of fancy schmancy chore, otherwise they'd just be some dumb magazine that talks about food.)
2 TBSP chopped fresh, flat-leaf parsley
2 cups 4% cottage cheese, preferably small-curd (16 oz)
1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP mayonnaise
1 tsp fresh lemon juice or to taste (My taste is a whole lot more than 1 tsp, especially since cabbage is a little bitter this time of year, but start there and add as you like.)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Cut cabbage into 2-inch wedges and core, then very thinly slice crosswise. (See above comment on onion chopping. Thanks.) Transfer to a large bowl. (For those of you who were just going to slop it on the floor and walk in it. I love recipe language!) Add remaining ingredients (into the bowl!!!) and toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes (or chill up to 2 hours) to allow flavors to meld. I thought it kept pretty good too. I liked this. Definitely a change from the candied mayonnaise concoction that KFC calls Cole Slaw. Men, you'll have to let us all know if this REALLY is your favorite. :)

Vegetable Salad

1 can baby Laseur peas (drained)
1 can white corn (drained)
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1/3 cup chopped green onions
small jar of pimiento if desired

Dressing:
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup sugar

Mix all these things together and chill. Drain off the dressing before serving. The sweet/sour dressing really helped tone down the "canned" flavor. I imagine this would be pretty darn good with frozen vegs and downright heavenly with fresh. The best part, though, is how easy it is and how you can do it any time of the year because it's canned stuff. :)

1 comment:

bonitinha said...

Thank goodness for that NHR label! I am so not into heating up the house. Give me cool summer meals that don't require cooking!