Friday, June 27, 2008

FCG: Emily Olsen's Clam Chowder 01/13/05

Happy New Year to you gang! I hope that everyone's celebrations were safe and happy. Mine were spent with bronchitis, which is my excuse for not sending the wonderful stuffing recipe I managed to acquire out to you all closer to when people actually eat stuffing (or "dressing" if you're in the south, but I don't think anyone is just now--all y'all are a bunch of yankees). I'll have to send it soon, though: it's good enough not to wait until Thanksgiving to try it in my opinion. Greetings to all of you from Philadelphia where I have had the opportunity to eat at a friend's house a couple of times and she has generously shared recipes with me (her being a fabulous cook doesn't hurt either). In honor of it being winter and my being an unabashed soup lover, I give you Emily Olsen's Clam Chowder recipe as she has given it to me. I hope you enjoy it! -Devon

Clam Chowder

2 cans minced clams
2 c diced potatoes
1 c diced celery
1 c chopped onion
1/2 c butter
3/4 c flour
1 qt whole milk
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t sugar
pepper to taste

"Drain clam juice over veggies in sauce pan. Add just enough water to cover veggies. Simmer till soft, about 20 min. In another saucepan, melt butter, whisk in flour, add milk and cook till thickened and smooth. Add veggies & liquid and clams, season with salt, sugar, and pepper, heat through. Yum! "This recipe makes quite a bit, but the recipe is easily halved, or doubled if you've got a crowd. I've heard that the leftovers freeze well, though I've never needed to resort to that myself. If you don't have whole milk, other variations work. I've been known to combine lower fat milk with half and half or cream, and my sister once made it with all cream (very thick). I love a flexible recipe!" (Me too! :) )

No comments: