Friday, June 27, 2008

FCG: Risotto with Leeks and Roasted Asparagus 02/08/05

Greetings Gang!

Happy February to all. Presidents' Day is this month. I would say fix a "Presidential" meal, but I don't know what that would be. I guess we could have an American Cheese sandwich (if you can stomach that plastic cheese) or something. That other holiday (which shall remain nameless--you don't even get off work for it so it doesn't coutn anyhow) is only good for the abundance of all things chocolate and the excuse to eat them in my opinion. :) Since everyone in the gang not only can cook but also has a sense of humor (bet you didn't know I held such a stringent application program, did you?), I hereby share with you a joke my mother recently shared with me.What does a fish say when it runs into a cement wall?"Dam."

Today's recipe coems from the Better Homes & Gardens America's Ethnic Cuisines cookbook. I actually stood and cooked and stirred constantly (which for me is saying something--cooking and stirring constantly is the very definition of tedium to me) and was most pleased with the result. (Though if I could figure out how to do this without cooking & stirring constantly, I'd be all over that!) Trying this recipe marked the second time in my life I've had Risotto. When I had it last time, we used regular rice and found that if you cook/stir constantly it too gets creamy, but not quite to the extent that the Arborio does. It's up to you: special rice or pantry stock (unless you keep arborio in your pantry: I personally keep only the cheapest rice I can find). Enjoy! -Devon

Risotto with Leeks and Roasted Asparagus .
3/4 lb asparagus spears, trimmed
1 TBSP Olive Oil
salt & pepper
Place the spears on a baking sheet and brush the oil on them and sprinkle them with salt & pepper. Bake these at 450 for about 10 minutes (check at 8) until crips/tender. Cut the spears into 2" pieces.

1 1/2 cup sliced leeks
1 TBSP Olive Oil
Cook the leeks in the olive oil until tender.

1 cup uncooked Arborio Rice
Add this to the leeks and cook and stir for five minutes until the rice browns. (Or at least until the rice is coated with the olive oil: you really don't have to brown it if you don't want to.)

3 cups Chicken Broth
Bring this to a boil (in a separate saucepan) and then reduce it to simmer. (Do this while you're cooking the leeks and rice actually.) Add 1 cup of the broth to the rice mixture and cook and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Add the rest of the broth, 1/2 cup (or 1 cup if you're as impatient as I am) at a time, cooking and stirring after each addition until all the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the Roasted Asparagus pieces along with the following:
1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
2 TBSP snipped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 tsp coarse black pepper

Serve warm.

Doubles nicely.

No comments: