Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oh What Do You Do in the Summertime?

Me, I make ice cream! Actually I make it all year round but since summer suddenly hit here, I've been making a bunch. So, here are a couple of my favorite recipes.

Pistachio Ice Cream
2/3 c unshelled pistachios
2 oz (1/4 c) egg substitute
1/3 c half & half
2/3 c milk
2 c whipping cream
3/4 c sugar
1/4 t almond extract
1 t vanilla extract
4 drops green food coloring

If your pistachios are salted, give them a quick rinse to get some of the salt off. In a food processor (or blender) combine nuts, egg, half&half, and milk. Pulse to start chopping the nuts, but don't chop them too fine (you're going for a rough chop. If they get too fine it turns out like sandpaper ice cream... not as appetizing). Add the rest off the ingredients and process to combine. Following your manufacturer's instructions, freeze in your handy dandy ice cream maker. Remove to a freezer safe container and place in freezer for several hours or overnight to allow flavors to blend and to firm up the ice cream. This recipe makes about a quart of ice cream mix, perfect for a 1 1/2 qt ice cream maker.


And my other latest favorite...

Brownie Berry Cheesecake Ice Cream
4 oz egg substitute (1/2 c)
1 c sugar
1/2 c half & half
2 c heavy cream
1 1/2 t vanilla
8 oz cream cheese
a handful of berries of your choice, crushed (I recommend raspberries)
a couple of brownies, crumbled

Beat eggs and sugar till thick and cream colored. Add half&half, cream, vanilla, and softened cream cheese. Mix thoroughly in a blender or food processor till smooth. Freeze in your ice cream maker. Remove to freezer safe container and gently fold in berries and brownies. Freeze overnight or several hours. Enjoy!!! (This recipe also makes a generous quart of ice cream mix.)

A couple of notes on ice cream making: The colder your ingredients are, the more success you'll have. After you mix everything together, stash your concoction in the fridge for a while to chill it thoroughly before putting it in your ice cream maker. Also, both of these recipes call for egg substitute which means you don't have to cook the base. If you prefer to use real eggs (and I can't blame you) gently heat the mixture till it becomes thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon. This adds a step and then makes that chilling part really important which is why I generally go for the fake eggs.

So, now it's your turn. What kinds of ice cream (or other frozen delectables) do you love to make? Please share!

6 comments:

klunker said...

Oh great! Now I have to go buy an ice cream maker: an expediency I've been strenuously avoiding. Drat you--that pistachio sounds so good I may just have to go and get one.

bonitinha said...

Oh, it is sooooo worth it! :)

Randomus maximus said...

or, Klunker, YOU could run down to the Super Fresh (your favorite store) and see if they have Buried Treasure Limited Edition ice cream from - what was the brand name bonitinha? Anyway. Good old stuff - maybe I will add these ingredients to MY list!

klunker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
klunker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
klunker said...

"Unshelled pistachios?" Shouldn't they be shelled? Or do I measure, then shell them? I now have access to an ice cream maker, and am naturally dying to try this, but am confused by the "unshelled" bit. I know: I'm way overthinking this: how many pistachios do I want? What were you expecting? You've met me!