Friday, June 27, 2008

FCG: Shrimp & Macadamia Nut Stuffing 01/21/05

Greetings gangsters! It's another one of Emily's recipes today: the stuffing one I was telling you about in the Clam Chowder e-mail. Seriously folks, this one you don't have to wait until "the holidays" to try. (Why when we say "the holidays" does that only mean the end-of-the-year ones? And why do we only eat stuffing then? Or do other people eat stuffing at other times of the year and I'm just missing out?) Again, quoting directly from Emily, I give you her recipe. Enjoy! - Devon

Shrimp & Macadamia Nut Stuffing

1 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined (cut in half if they're big)
1/2 c chopped celery
1/4 c chopped onion
1/2 c butter
2 c herb seasoned stuffing mix
1/2 c roughly chopped macadamia nuts
1/4 c hot milk
1 egg

"Cook celery & onion in butter till soft. Add shrimp for the last couple of minutes till cooked through and pink. Combine all ingredients and mix well. "This is enough for a smallish turkey I think. I was told to double it in case of a 20 lb bird. When I made it for christmas I cooked it separately in a pan and added about another 1/4-1/3 c milk and cooked it covered.* According to Joy of Cooking stuffing can also be cooked in a pan uncovered for a bit of a crispy crust."

*I had it in the separate-pan thing and it was delicious. I did not know you could still cook stuffing inside of a bird (rather makes "stuffing" a misnomer, doesn't it?) because of the bacteria concerns, but if you're someone who actually stuffs your stuffing into the carcas of a turkey (or other bird for that matter), I guess you cook that however you cook a stuffed bird. :) Seriously folks: try this recipe. It's great!

No comments: