Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pig Pickin' Cake

Years ago, when I was in North Carolina, I got to be introduced to new types of cuisine that I hadn't been exposed to growing up on the west coast. I learned that North Carolina Barbeque is unmatched in the world for its piquancy (I do love me a bottle of Scott's!) and a so-called pig-pickin is not as scary as it sounds, particularly when it is attended by the traditional pig pickin cake. Many people have been delighted that Rosa Lee Sewell of Goldsboro, NC was generous enough to share her recipe with me. Hopefully y'all will like it too. :)

Pig Pickin' Cake
Mix together with a whisk or hand mixer:
1 Yellow Cake Mix
4 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 11-oz can of mandarin oranges (do NOT drain!)
Bake in four greased and floured 8" round cake pans at 350 F for 15 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

For frosting, mix thoroughly:
1 tub non-dairy whipped topping
1 (small) box of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 can crushed pineapple (drained)
Frost between all layers and on top. This cake is particularly pretty and tasty when garnished with fresh fruit such as kiwi, strawberries, and orange segments.

This frosting by itself also makes a nice (and incredibly easy) fruit dip.

No comments: