Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Butter-Braised Kohlrabi

Our kohlrabi did GREAT in the garden this year. Maybe it was a little too great: we had quite a few of the little buggars and it's hard to know what to do with them. I understand you can serve them raw with dip (which does sound tasty) and I know from experience that you can cut it up and parboil it with carrots, but there are only so many meals you can serve carrots & kohlrabi before it gets old. Because of that, I decided to trawl the internet to see if there were any other ideas and viola!: I found Butter-Braised Kohlrabi. Easy and delicious! Thank you saveur.com for this recipe!

Butter-Braised Kohlrabi

2 lbs kohlrabi, trimmed but unpeeled and cut into 1" cubes (I trimmed and peeled mine--I had let them get a little big)
1 cup chicken stock
4 TBSP butter, cubed
1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (another thing doing well in my garden, gratefully)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Put the kohlrabi, stock, 2 TBSP butter, and thyme into a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Season with S&P and cover with parchment-paper circle cut to fit inside rim of skillet. (I did not do this: I used a splatter guard because I didn't feel like digging out the parchment, but your choice.)

Cook, stirring occasionally, until kohlrabi is tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover, remove pan from heat, and add the remaining 2 TBSP butter, swirling skillet until butter melts. Serve warm.

The slight carmelization I got on the kohlrabi (I didn't stir it enough) really was delicious and provided a nice counterpoint to the salt and papper vegetable-ness of the dish. If you're wondering what to do with a kohlrabi, this is it!

No comments: