Sunday, April 25, 2010

Toothache Tomato Soup

I recently had a wisdom tooth removed and thus have found myself on a liquid diet (it hurts too much to open my jaw). Not a huge fan of the canned soup options and not wanting to take my puffy face to the store, I concocted some soup out of ingredients on hand. If you're looking for something with a little zing, this may be for you.

Toothache Tomato Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
olive oil (3-4 TBSP)
one quart canned tomatoes
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dry marjoram
1/2 tsp dry basil

Cook the onion in the olive oil until it just begins to take on a little bit of brown. Remove the pan from heat and spoon the onion out of the pan and into your blender. Put the dry spices in the warm oil left in the pan and go puree the onions. If it doesn't move around enough, pour in some of the tomatoes to give it some liquid. Put the onion puree back into the pan. Puree the remaining tomatoes until smooth and return to the pan. Stir everything together and warm until it's the temperature you prefer. Serve.

I will say that I think this would be lovely with some fresh sauteed garlic (didn't have any fresh: hence, the powdered) and that fresh spices would be superior goes without saying. If I had some cream onhand I might have tried some of that as well. This would be good with a loaf of crusty bread turned into a cheesy garlic toast or garnished with some toasted pinenuts too I suspect, but if you can't open your jaw for the pain, the plain version above was good and the leftovers kept really well in the fridge.

1 comment:

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Hey! It SNOWED today so that might be the answer for dinner!