Wednesday, July 2, 2008

FCg: Corn & Beans & 'Maters & Bacon 09/05/05

Greetings!
I hope everyone has had a wonderful summer. I had a busy one because I elected to go to summer school, which meant that I got to take a regular semester-size course in a six-week workshop--no mean fete when one of the courses you elect is Koine Greek. (I don't recommend it.) Now the fall is back (even if nobody has told the weather just yet) and school is back in session at a slow enough pace that I might be able to do something besides study for an hour or week or something. :) I love the fall. It's my favorite time of year weather-wise. I like the beginning of it when summer is still hanging on because you can still get fresh vegetables. This time of year, it's almost hard to find a bad tomato, even in a grocery store. Today's recipe comes from the Sweet Potato Queen's Big-Ass Cookbook (And Financial Planner), so naturally, it is high in fat. It is also full of vegetables too, though, so there is some redeeming quality to the dish. According to the SPQ, you can make this with all canned vegetables and it is passable. She says you can make it with all fresh vegetables (though she recommends pre-cooking the limas for a bit if you use all fresh stuff since they take forever to cook) and that doing so will allow you to ascend nigh unto heaven with the very first bite--I can imagine why. I personally split the difference and used frozen corn and frozen beans (I hate canned vegetables by and large so I avoid them whenever I can) and fresh everything else, and I thought it was wonderfrul. I hope you enjoy it too. - Devon

Corn and Beans and 'Maters and Bacon

In a little bit of oil, saute:
1 chopped medium onion
1 chopped green pepper just until tender.

Peel and slice1 lb tomatoes

In a casserole, layer the following:
bacon
1 lb lima beans
half of your tomatoes
the onion and green pepper mixture
1 lb corn
the other half of your tomatoes
bacon

Cover your pan with foil and bake this for one hour. Actually, bake it for 50 minutes and then take the foil off the top for the last 10 minutes so that the bacon can get nice and crispy. Enjoy!

Oh, and PS:
Gina of our group has requested that we do a bona fide recipe exchange wherein we all share a yummy dessert recipe. I think that sounds like it might be fun, especially with the holidays coming up and all (in a couple of months, but still, time to prepare). Should this be our first official call for recipes: give me your pies, your cakes, your frozen delights waiting to be served, the gooey cookies and candies that you love: send these, the best recipes you know. Okay, that's the end of my uncreative attempt at the Statue of Liberty plaque, but you get the idea. Either send them to the whole gang yourself or send them to me and I'll forward it on. I'm looking forward to it! – Devon

No comments: